Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Slugs be gone

Last year I went out after dark most nights for slug watch, I picked off the slugs I found, and killed them. I didn't really enjoy it, so I'm looking for alternatives this year. 


I've bought some Slug Gone, an Organic method of slug control. It doesn't kill slugs, just deters them from particular plants, as it lots of little wool pellets that the slugs don't like travelling over. So you put them round your tender plants, and it protects them, plus it's harmless and is meant to be actually good for the soil. 


I bought a 3.5 litre bag for £11 online. I don't think it'll last very long, but if it saves some of my veggie plants from the slug terrors it'll be worth it.


I'm trying it around some mange tout peas and the sweetcorn I planted yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes...



1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried this yet because I only have the occasional slug, but you can build a "beer trap" to catch them.

    http://www.ehow.com/how_4724852_beer-traps-slugs.html

    ReplyDelete